Monday, July 12, 2010

Traveling fun

Hey so we are still traveling and traveling but things are going good. Unfortunately the internet has not been working much so sorry if your checking this like 5 times a day and there is nothing (because I KNOW you are ;). Anyways on Saturday we had apparently a an ancient ceremony called crossing the line which I guess you could say is a celebration for crossing the equator. In the ceremony the "pollywogs" or those who have never "crossed the line" go through an initiation to become a "shellback" which are those who have been initiated for crossing the line. This basically means that the shell backs get to make us do what ever they want…(and it is the Navy so I’m sure you can imagine..) To keep the story short we were woken up at 530 am and sent trough this "initiation" process. This consisted of crawling on our knees all over the place, going through jelly slimed areas and then having to do all sorts of exercises and lots and lots of pushups. We at breakfast but it was on the grown with our hands behind our back. I had a pancake with syrup, its was sticky but very tasty J. We then went up on the deck where they had tons of fire hoses and sprayed us with salt water and I mean a LOT of salt water while doing more pushups, having to jump in nasty pools and getting washed over with a dirty mop fully of jello. But I made it and now I am officially a shellback! And in all honesty it was pretty fun! (sorry they wouldn’t let us take any pictures of it, go figureL )

Other than that nothing too exciting has happened. We had a steal picnic on the flight deck of the ship, but a crazy rain storm came so it made things fun I suppose. As far as my work schedule goes I am really excited because I get to leave the ship and stay over night for 7 days in a remote area of Indonesia where they basically drop us off, we do care and they pick us up in 7 days so it should be cool. Unfortunately it is not until the 18th so I have to wait. Apparently there are a lot of providers and not too many medcaps (medical sites) so I can’t go out everyday. But not everyone gets to do an over night thing so I’m happy. To fill up my time I am also luckily enough to be able to go on a island tour on a remote island and go snorkeling so that should be cool. I am also going to do a 5 k run on one of the sights so that should be fun as well. Anyways Ill post some pictures when I can, hope life is going well in the real world.

1 comment:

  1. Hahahaha I would love to see that initiation part!! I love this!!! So cool!!!

    ReplyDelete