Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Darwin

Going back to Australia was awesome! Its funny how I never thought in a million years I would be going back there, yet there I was, crazy! The first place we went to was Darwin which was where the ship docked. It was a small but neat town. I think the thing that blew my mind the most was how different the weather was. Indonesia was a very tropical and a green green place, while Darwin was actually pretty dry and was some what of a desert. Apparently they have 2 seasons. The wet season where everything floods like crazy and the dry where everything drys out soo bad it burns. Kinda bizarre but i guess it has something to do with the outback being soo close, i suppose.  Anyways the first day we were there we went to some cool museums and then walked along this cool beach to get to a huge market that they have every Thursday and Sunday nights.

IMG_3913

The beach was awesome and had all these interesting rocks on it. 

100_1650

The market was actually kind of expensive but they had all sorts of neat things to look at and good crazy foods. While I was there I tried Kangaroo, Emu, camel (nasty nasty nasty), and crocodile which was fun.

IMG_0371

I also got to appreciate yet another amazing sunset. We laugh because I think all of us in the group have about a million sunset pictures. But how can you not take pictures of them.

The next day we rented a car and went up to a place called Litchfield park. There, they had tons of beautiful waterfalls. They also had some swimming holes but unfortunately we only got to swim in one because the other one was closed because they found crocodiles in it (go figure). 

IMG_3975

We also got to see tons of huge termite mounds and some cool mounds that were made by what they called magnetic termites that looked like huge tomb stones.

IMG_0376 

After Litchfield park we went to a place called berry springs. This place we cool because it was pretty warm and had all sorts of swimming areas in it. In some parts it kinda reminded me of the small river the boys walk through on Swiss Family Robinson (you know the one where they get caught by the snake) so it was kinda creepy but there were little kids swimming in it so I figured I’d be ok and couldn’t be a wimp until it started getting dark and strange bugs started flying around….then i was out of there!

IMG_0398

IMG_0416

We then showered at a random place (ask me about it if you wanna know the details…) and caught our flight at 1:45 am, it was joyous.

No comments:

Post a Comment