Monday, November 17, 2014

The Year a Crazy Workout Called Zumba Changed my Life: My Zumba instructor story

So as many of you know approx 1 year ago I set the goal to become a Zumba instructor. Crazy I thought at the time, but now I can honestly say it was probably one of the best things I have ever done and its amazing how learning to teach a silly Latin aerobic class can really change your life. So first of all I know your all wondering why? Why in the heck did this uncoordinated blond friend of yours who you know doesn’t ever even dance much decided to become a Zumba instructor? Well first of all for the past 3 years Zumba has been my life saver, after having hip surgery 3 years ago and having to stop doing all my favorite exercises including kickboxing and at the time running, I found Zumba was the only thing I could do and some how fell in love with it.  I also saw the amazing impact an instructor can have on a class. For the past few years I had an awesome instructor that made me happy, she had this light and positive energy that made me love going to her class and that helped me so much when I was having a bad day. It was so infectious that my friends loved her as well and we looked forward to going to Zumba together every week, it really was crazy the impact one person could have on us. In addition, I decided to do it because last year I turned 30 and one day I woke up and realized I needed to set a new goal  and do something different, Idk if I was going through a mini mid life crisis while deciding what I wanted to do but thought came to me why not learn to teach what you love to do and hopefully help people the way others have helped you. So even though it sounded quite scary and frankly kinda crazy I said why not do something completely out of my character and comfort zone and see I learn.

So I got brave a got licensed and the first 3 months of being an instructor were awesome! I started out by doing something simple and less intimidating by teaching at the church. I remember my first class I was too nervous to teach too many people so I had some of my aunts and cousins come as my guinea pigs and even though I wasn’t that good we had soo much fun and it almost made me laugh to see other people copying what I was doing. I then got braver and invited other people to come to my class and ended up teaching on sat mornings at the church. It was so fun to see them happy and excited as I taught and I just loved the energy that came from it and that I was in part helping them feel that way even though part of me we wondered if they were just coming for entertainment, idk, lol. During that time I was also given the opportunity to teach a few young woman’s classes and it was a blast! That was when I realized how powerful learning a skill like this was in helping other people and making them happy and I loved it!

                   

Then in March I decided I wanted to push myself a little harder and make an attempt to try out at the gym I went to. I knew this would be a challenge because they don’t teach you very much in Zumba training abt how to be an exercise instructor and shoot I had never taught aerobics before and had no experience at all. But I felt really good about it so I decided to go for it and see where it took me. In that process I was able to talk with the Zumba instructor I loved and to my surprise she said she would help and I was so excited. During that time we worked together I learned a lot I’m not going to lie it was crazy intimidating, I mean wouldn’t you be? I don’t even think I would even let see my friends see my practice, lol. But I did and was so grateful for her patience and the time she took out of her busy life to help me. Over a period of time she then allowed me to teaching a few songs in her crazy huge class of 50+ people and that was when I realized it was the coolest thing ever! Looking back on it I can’t believe I did it but there was just something super awesome about having all those people follow what your doing and the energy is so amazing, it will be something I will never forget!  I was also able to be a part of some group Zumba dance parties the gym puts on and I cannot tell you how cool it was to be on the stage with the instructors and be one of those people I had always looked up to, it really was like a dream!

IMG_5479

But unfortunately when your trying to work for a gym they have high expectations and based on my lack of experience it was fun but also became very stressful. I was a beginner and had a lot to practice and learn and I kept thinking it was going to get better so I kept working hard but when the day came for me to try out I was exhausted and I knew I wasn’t quite ready, so I didn’t make it and it was pretty much the worst feeling ever. Luckily the gym boss was nice and wanted to pair me up with another instructor to improve which I was grateful for, but then things never happened and weeks became months and I wondered why I worked so hard and felt soo good about doing something that would end up being so horribly bad. At that point really wanted to say forget it but knew I would never forgive myself if I quit and really wanted to believe that if you work hard enough at something you can achieve it so I got back up, took what I had learned, and set a goal to have my own class by Sep and practiced. 

Finally August rolled around and as hard as it was I got myself back up on the stage to try out one last time and this time did awesome!! I felt so confident and my class went really well and at that moment I knew I had finally IMG_7152achieved my goal! But while up there a funny thing happened, I thought of my family and friends I helped in my church Zumba class and realized that I’d rather be helping them and that teaching at the gym wasn’t right for me. So a few days later when I talked to the gym boss to my surprise I declined working at the gym and an amazing peace came over me. It then was about a week later that I was called and ask to work with the Young Women in my church on wed nights and I knew that was we’re I needed to be and then fully understood why thing just didn’t work out back a few months ago.To end my experience I was able to join them one last night for a Party in Pink Zumba dance party and it was perfect way to end such end and finish such a crazy awesome challenging goal.

imageimageimage

Now you probably wondering what in the world I learned from all of this and how it changed my life. Well you see though this process I learned that I can do hard things, that no matter how hard things might be that if you have faith and work hard at something you can achieve it and if I could learn to do something as crazy as teaching Zumba I can pretty much do anything. I learned that if I can get up in front of 50+ people and dance then speaking in front of a large group of people is easy, lol and as a result imagehave become a happier confident person. I also gained a greater understanding of gods love for me as he gave me basically everything I would have ever wanted to experience and more before he helped me understand that it was not my path. In addition, was able to lose 20+ lbs and be the healthiest and thinnest I have ever been in my life! But most importantly through this experience I was able to get to know and become friends with that instructor who helped me so much over the years and more importantly in a small way be there for her during a difficult time in her life and that is something I am forever grateful for.  

All and all my year of teaching Zumba although trying at times has been such an amazing experience and something I will never forget! I am grateful for the opportunities I was able to have, people I was able to meet, and now I couldn’t be happier being back teaching the people I love on Saturday mornings. I am also here to say that if you have a goal or anything you want to do even if it seems hard just do it and believe in yourself and you’ll be surprised what you can achieve. Sometimes it is worth going out of you comfort zone and pushing yourself a little. I mean really who would have thought all of this would happen?? Certainly not me, lol. If an uncoordinated super white girl can learn to do this, I’m pretty sure you can do anything too! :) What an awesome adventure it has been and I am grateful it is now something I can call part of my life!

                              image

1 comment:

  1. Awesome blog, Michelle! Thanks for writing about your experience. And thanks for teaching me how to do some serious Zumba. We'll do it again sometime!

    ReplyDelete