Sunday, February 9, 2014

10 Lessons I’ve Learned in My New Homeowner Adventure

530326_10101165955737329_1072305546_[1]1175757_10101061346285509_18155593901465148_10101170181219429_277187632_[2]christmas-house_thumb5

So I have officially been in my house for about 3 months now and I’m not gonna lie, it has been pretty dang awesome! I love having my own place, back yard, and garage. However, there have been a lot of challenges with owning a home and I have defiantly learned a lot of things I would have never thought of. Here are the top 10 things I have learned thus far:

1. The real reason why we are meant to get married

Other than the obvious reasons why a husband would be nice, when you own a house I’ve learned for practical reasons a man is kind of a necessity. Between moving things around, hanging things up, knowing yard work stuff, fixing leaking water softener pipes, etc. There are just some things I can’t really do. So I really do need to work on getting one of those, dang it!

2. I need a truck

Lets just say when you move and live in a house, you end up buying bigger things and move things that are way too big for my little car. Thank goodness for the fam that lets me borrow theirs but I really need to put it on my list of things to get one of these days.

3. Using a staple gun is an art

I wanted to hang up Christmas lights so after much trial and error, and luckily no serious injuries I finally figured out the art of using staple gun successfully and without falling off a chair! It was an adventure that’s for sure, lol.  Again another reason why a man would have been handy. ;)

4. You get surprise shrubbery

So when I moved into the house it was fall time and I knew I had a few bushes but when I went to put Christmas lights on my “few bushes” I found that I had a ton of them! And do I know what they are going to look like?? Nope, I guess it’s just gonna be a fun surprise come spring!

5. I’m all set for a kid

Also when I moved into the house, the previous owners had a child and apparently they forgot that I didn’t have one because I went to put my stuff in my kitchen I found that EVERY SINGLE drawer had a child lock on them!! Luckily over time I have been getting use to it as its going to be a huge pain to take them out. Thank goodness there has been no damage out of frustration done to my house, yet…;)

6. If you stand on a “decorative ledge” to put up lights, it just may break off your house…..the end.

7. Fancy houses have timed lights

So I couldn’t figure out how everyone’s Christmas lights turned on all at the exact right time at night and how they all got home from work before me. Then after going through the whole season and taking them down, I figured out I have a little thing that can turn my lights on and off automatically….cheers for next year I guess! ;P

8. I can do garbage day

Despite the fact that the street next to mine’s garbage day is on Wednesday, my street’s is actually on Thursday (of course?!) and it only took me 2 months to figure it out! Thank you very much! Now I just have to actually remember to put the can out…lol

9. Its fun to have neighbors!

Thus far I’ve had one neighbor bring me some mail and introduce himself and another neighbor leave Christmas treats on my porch. After spending most my life living in the country and not really having neighbors, its been kinda cool and it makes me happy they are nice too :)

10. The best part about living in a house is you don’t have any wall neighbors so you can turn the music up and party every day all the time, if I want!! Ya! :D

Sneak peak inside: Its still a work in progress, and I still have a lot to do and hang up but it gives you a good idea of what it looks like!

IMG_1687_thumb2IMG_1688_thumb2IMG_1689_thumb2IMG_1690_thumb2IMG_1691_thumb2IMG_1693_thumb2IMG_1694_thumb1IMG_1696_thumb2

OFFICIAL TOUR!!!

Hope you liked it and friends you know this just means you need to come visit now so we can play!!! :D

6 comments:

  1. I love it!! Thanks so much for sharing!! It is such an amazing house!! I love the table you did!! Thanks so much for giving the tour. We will come stay the next time we are in Washington :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nicki! Hope the "next time" you come to WA is soon ;)

      Delete
  2. I'm so happy for you! What a cute house! And I loved your video, it made me miss you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So awesome, Michelle! I love love your house! Now I'll have to come see it (and YOU) in person!!

    PS - I was totally jealous about the Switzerland picture of you and Katherine. One day... :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. love the post. I want to come visit sometime!

    ReplyDelete